How do I run for local office?

If you are a legally registered voter and interested in running for local office in the Town of Milton, you must submit a Local Office Nominating Petition form and Consent of Candidate form to the Town Clerk.  These forms are available at the town office or can be downloaded from the links above.

The Local Office Nominating Petition and Consent forms must be filed with the Town Clerk no later than 5:00 pm on the sixth Monday preceding the election (January 29, 2024).

The petition must be signed by at least 30 registered voters (Milton voters).  The petition must clearly indicate the office and term length on the petition prior to circulating it for signatures, and the candidate's name must appear on the petition exactly as it appears on the voter checklist.  Nominating petitions may contain the name of only one candidate.

The candidate's name will appear on the ballot exactly as it listed on the Consent of Candidate form.

For more information about running for office, please see the Vermont Secretary of State’s website.

Show All Answers

1. When is the next election?
2. Am I eligible to vote?
3. Am I registered to vote?
4. What is Vermont's "My Voter Page"?
5. Where do I vote?
6. What is going to be on the ballot?
7. Will my ballot be automatically mailed to me?
8. How do I vote early or absentee?
9. How do I return my ballot?
10. Where can I find Milton's election results?
11. Who is in office now?
12. How do I run for local office?
13. Other questions?